Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 83: Fuel Up

So, I was talking to a friend this morning and most of the conversation revolved around food. She started the Atkins diet this morning and had to start out making choices about what to eat. I, on the other hand, was in the kitchen making breakfast for myself and the family. One thing really stood out though, it was the way we viewed food. We both talked about how its important for food to taste good in order for us to be happy. Now on the surface, this may not sound like a very profound statement, however there's much more too it. I mean, think about it... eating is a necessity. It's something we must do for our bodies everyday in order for it to keep going. Kind of like using the bathroom or sleeping. And when you think of our ancestors, I mean, back to the cave man, none of these things envolved much pomp and circumstance. You pooped where it wouldn't be detected, ate what grew or what you caught, and slept on a make shift bed. But things, as did people, evolved... now our bathrooms are climate controled and fragrant, our beds are big and plush, and our meals elaborate and tasty. Hummm... So what I'm I trying to say. I think the caveman diet is not such a bad idea. No, I'm not talking about the one that someone threw together and made a book about. I'm talking about the real thing. I'm talking about eating because it's fuels you up without worrying about how wonderful it taste. Now, I'm not saying eat grass and mud pies. I'm saying if you have to choose between the fatfree variety that doesn't taste as good or the full fat version, go for the fatfree. And if you want something sweet you can always choose the mango over the candy bar. Eat what fuels your body and be happy because you were good to yourself. That will be my focus for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment