I know the approaching holiday is all about showing others how much you love them and I embrace the opportunity to do so. Still, I believe it's also a wonderful chance to show yourself some love. Alot of times we focus on what's wrong with us... "I hate my stomach!" "I can't fit my clothes." "The scale wont budge"... But what about what's right. Take a moment to celebrate the wonderful things that make you YOU. Feeling better about who you are now is step one to being a better you later. Here's what I love about me.
1. I can make a meal out of anything. Black beans and corn, ramen and hotdogs, cottage cheese and applesauce. Yum...
2. I can take a tune and make it a jingle. Here's an example (To the Tune of: Love the Way You Lie, Eminem featuring Rihanna), Just gonna stand here and watch me learn, but that's alright cause you're gonnna have a turn. Just gonna stand there and try to slack, but that's alright there're no answers in the back. No answers in the back. :)
3. Random people talk to me. I could be in an airport, on the street, in a public restroom. It doesn't matter, people talk to me. Sometimes it just a question and others it's a full blown conversation. I watch them walk past other people and approach me. My friends and family even notice it. Like they say, I've never met a stranger.
4. I am not my hair. I used to hold on to and charish the long hair that I inherited from my grandmothers. I'd spend hours in the mirror trying to get it right and get frustrated when I couldn't. Not anymore. I chopped it all off and I haven't looked back. It's carefree and low maintenance, but like me.
5. The small stuff just doesn't phase me. I like to say, "I'm easy like Sunday morning." I go with the flow. And when things aren't at even keel, my boat sails on. Trust me people. It's an asset. Less stress, better health. Simple as that.
6. I just keep graduating. I was talking to my mom the other day and I didn't realize how many graduations I'd had. Pre-K, Kindergarten, 5th grade, 8th grade, 12th grade, basic training, AIT, Bachelor's Degree, and soon my Master. And I don't plan on quiting. It's a good feeling to accomplish something, to see it through to the end, and to become better all the while.
7. I'm flexible. Not just mentally (going with the flow), but also physically. I can put my clasped hands behind my back, do a split, and kick at head level. I love that my body extends beyond what most others can do. It reminds me that I'm special.
8. I keep trying to be a better me. Whether it's going to school or going to church, attending a training or attending zumba, I keep trying to be better. Once upon a time I thought everyone was like that, but I now realize that some people are content with just being and others are so overwhelmed that they don't act. I'm not perfect by a long shot, but if I strive for perfection, I can only get better.
9. I'm blessed I serve an awesome God and it shows. From my family and friends to my job and successes, God's had in my life is evident. I love that my God loves me.
10. I'm alot of things to alot of people... and many of them matter. I am is wife, mother, daugther, sister, aunt, friend, teacher, student, peer... and all of those things matter to someone. I believe that I am a rock to my husband, an example for my children, a legacy for my parents, a piece of the puzzle for my sister and brothers, a different perspective for my nieces and nephews, a lot of things (nurse, counselor, mentor, tutor) to my student, a reason to come to work for my professors, and a allie for my peers.
And because I love myself so much, I am going to take care of me. Mind body and soul. Good in... Good out. Happy Valentine's Day