Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day Six: Indulge... (read first, then indulge)

So, indulging is something many dieters shy away from. They fear the splurge will lead to a binge. Not so! Trust me, I've done the research. Why? Because I love to indulge. HOWEVER, there are a few tips I have picked about treating yourself. # 1. Try lowfat alternatives to your usual treats. If you usualy have hostess cream filled cakes try the Weight Watchers brand. # 2. Splurge occasionally. If you are doing it everyday, it is no longer a splurge. It's a habit. Enjoying that special treat once a week or once a month allows you to saver it. #3 When you know you are going to indulge on dessert, eat a healthier meal. Work your splurge into your calorie count. That way, even when you're wrong, you're right. :) # 4. Chocolate is your friend (depending on the kind and quantity). The higher the percentage of cocoa, the higher the amounts of healthy antioxidents it contains. These would be your dark chocolates. Plus, endorphins are released when you eat chocolate. These endorphines act as natural pain relievers. Thing is you should only eat about 1- 1.5 ounces of dark chocolate a day. And... because dark chocolate isn't as sweet as milk chocolate, you won't want to eat more than 1-1.5 onces. # 5. If you don't indulge every once in a while, you are setting yourself up for future failure. Denying yourself of every craving will only lead to binging in the long run.

I chose this post today because today I went grocery shopping. I saw all of the little debbies, cookies, and loaded ice cream bars, but I was not swayed. That's because with my new food knowledge, I have options. I browsed the weight watchers 1 point cream cakes and muffins, but I settled on the Mini Sneakers Ice Cream Bars. Each one is only 90 calories, but it satisfies the craving for chocolate, sweet, salty, crunchy, and creamy. It doesn't get my better than that. I also picked up some plain dark chocolate for those days when I just need to quick pick me up without all of the extra frills.

Stay tuned. Weigh-in is Monday morning at the Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment