Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 12: Never Too Busy

So, I used to always say, " I want to workout, but I don't have the time. I've got to go to work and once I come home I get the kids settled with dinner and baths. And that's just on the nights when I don't have class. Weekends aren't much better because I have to clean house..." That was what I would say when faced with the prospect of working out.
However, now I go to work, care for the kids, make dinners, go to class during the week and I'm still house cleaning on the weekends. But in addition I exercise daily for 45 min to an hour. So, what's changed? Nothing... but the way I view myself and my outlook on life.
I used to put everyone and everything before my fitness goals. I'd attempt to go work out, but I wouldn't have a sitter. Or I didn't have the right clothes. I couldn't afford the gym membership. I needed to be at home with the kids. There was always a reason. There was any reason but me.
I have no idea when or where it happened, but I started to realize that if I was going to continue to be everything for everybody, I also needed to be someone for myself. How long can you neglect yourself, and still be worth anything to anyone else? I may have been able to keep it up for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years... but at what price? I'd be unhealthy and unhappy and so would my family. A gym membership with child care may cost me some, but constant visits to the doctor, would cost more. New workout clothes may be an added expense, but it's an expense that adds to my self esteem. I do need to spend time with the kids, and the years that living fit will add to my life are just what the doctor ordered.
So, now I make time. I take care of myself, so that I can take care of others. I am never too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment