Monday, July 30, 2012

Keeping it Down on Vacation...

So, I just got back from Georgia and let me tell you... I had a wonderful time. It was filled with good friends, good food, more friends, and more food. It seemed like everytime I'd talk to someone about catching up it ended up being over lunch or dinner. In the end I had to start saying... I'll just come to your house and see you, neither my pocket or my waistline could afford it. But amazingly enough... I made it through the 6 day adventure and managed have lost weight at the end of it all. I believe that's a first. Here's what I did:

  1. Order Vegetarian: At Cheddar's I ordered the veggie plate. It comes with a salad and 4 sides. I chose a house salad with light dressing, broccoli and cheese casserole, steamed broccoli, sweet carrots, and red beans and rice (it had a little sausage in it... not completely veggie). Bonus: Veggie is usually less expensive.
  2. Crowd it Out: With each meal I tried to ensure that I had at least 2 cups of vegetables. At Hibachi I got started with mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, and asparagus from the buffet. Then at the Hibachi Grill I got a little rice, tons more vegetables, and a little shrimp. The veggies fill you up with less calories. There's nothing worse than going to a buffet and leaving unsatisfied.
  3. Have a Little of What you Want: When I'm eating with others and they are enjoying high calorie, yet absolutely irresistible food... I don't resist. I have 1 or 2 small pieces... just to get the taste of it... and let it go. That way, I don't feel like I missed anything. I've had it... even if it was only a little. I did with with the nachos at Nacho Mama's.
  4. Don't Drink your Calories (Unless it's Worth it): I used to order a regular soda with every meal... and then I took every advantage of the free refills. That's until I did the math... 120 calories per drink (and that's a small 1) with at least 1 refill... That's 240 calories or a crispy creme donut. I mean, really, which would you rather have. So usually I just drink water, like I did at Mi Rancho's (it's free for crying out loud and the best thing for you). But if I'm not in the mood for water, I have an unsweetened tea or diet coke. **When are drink calories worth it... when it's found in a margarita. :)
  5. WORKOUT! Yeah, that's no surprise and I'm not fitness fanatic. I'd fallin' off the fitness wagon, but I took advantage of this vacation to jump back on. The first morning I took advantage of the hotel "fitness room" with 4 machines... only the treadmill working properly. The next day I did my own set of circuits in the fitness room. It only required a chair and the floor. The last full day I did shadow boxing in my hotel room.
I'm certain this list is not all inclusive, but it's a start. If you have more pointers for a healthier vacation. Please post them in a comment. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment